Saturday, August 31, 2013

Five Alarm Funk Canada Day Show Review

On Canada I once again went to the last day of the Sasktel Saskatchewan Jazz Fest.  I went to the Free Stage at Friendship Park.  You can get just as good of shows at the Free Stage as you can at paid shows.  I've been hearing and seeing the name of the band Five Alarm Funk.  So I was interested in seeing them.  They didn't disappoint at all.  I was right at the front of the stage in front of the drummer who is the band leader.

Most of the songs they played were off their 2011 album "Rock the Sky."  In fact, they played that whole album.  Between songs they would tell a story which led into the next song.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Their songs are drum/percussion and horn driven for the most part.  Yes they have some bass and guitar solos.  But mostly drum/percussion and horn driven

Some parts of the show had an element of theatrics with some comedy.  The song "The Critic" is a prime example.  The conga player plays the role of a critic well.  He was playing a few roles and doing theatrics.  They do a great stage show and put the effort into it by how hard they work.  A lot of acts don't put effort into their shows.  Five Alarm Funk does and I give them all the credit in the world for being an act that does.

Another great show with an encore.  I met some of the band and one of the horn players is apparently the cousin of Tegan and Sara which I found cool.  Here is a song they performed at the show.

"Wash Your Face"
YouTube link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.