Saturday, June 11, 2022

"Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes

Yesterday at work, my demo was messy, but it was a fun one. My product was pineapple chunks. I was blending it was ice cream. People were loving how simple it was. Some were saying it tasted like a pina colada. So I was telling people that I could sing them a song about pina colada.


"Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes was the one I defaulted to. Sorry, Garth Brooks. One member didn't want me to sing your "Two Pina Coladas" as they didn't like country music. One member said it was the me singing the former that brought her in.

I finally decided to look up the lyrics to "Escape (Pina Colada Song)." Aside from not knowing the last two lines of the first chorus (haven't memorized the rest of the song), I found out I was mishearing lyrics. I always thought it was the following.

If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes of a caves

The lyrics are actually:

If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes on a cape

Looking up what a dune and a cape is (still not exactly sure), it makes more sense based on the song having a beach theme and whatnot. Poor Rupert Holmes and his resentment towards the song.  All the awards he has won for musicals he's written yet people know him as the guy who wrote that song about pina colada.  Regardless of your stance on the song, I like it.  It's unmistakable and catchy.  You can't help but sing along.

YouTube link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.