Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Illusion Of Support

I have done a post on this type of thing before. But today I was thinking about this again. I thought it would be a good thing to do a sermon on.

So in this previous post I talked about people "showing" support for the troops by sticking a bumper sticker on their vehicle verses actually supporting them. I thought that why show the illusion of support? Jesus and God don't show the illusion of love that they have for us. So why should we show the illusion of support for a cause?

I could feign my support for something to go with the general consensus of a lot of people. But why would I do that? Just because a good portion of the masses want you to show support for the troops because they fight for your freedom doesn't you have to. Don't get me wrong, but I do respect that people have chosen that career path and decided to go in to some sector of the military, but why should I support a war or a mission that has nothing to do with us in the first place?

Wouldn't feigning or showing illusion of support for something be wrong? I know people do it all the time. But why should I compromise who I am just because it's the "cool" thing to do is show support for something. God and Jesus don't think it's "cool" to show the illusion of love because it's what you want from them. It's the fact that Jesus and God do truly love us. That's why if you are going to put a bumper sticker on your vehicle that you have to actually support the troops, ending breast cancer, ending aids, etc.. Don't just say you support, but actually prove it. Saying you support something is easy to do because it's not like you have to go out of your way to physically do something to show your support.

I've supported stuff in the past and not just said I do. I've actually done a 30 hour famine and collected pledges to help people in developing countries. It's good to actually go out of your way to show your support just like God and Jesus have gone out of their way to show their love for us. They didn't just stick a sticker on something that said "I love all of mankind" or something like that. You could say you love someone, but that doesn't truly mean you do. God and Jesus don't just give lip service like a lot of the people in the world do when They declare their love for us. So why should we just give lip service when we show our support for something?

I just think sticking a bumper sticker on your vehicle is just a lazy and hollow way to show your support for something. After all, Jesus and God are not lazy and hollow with their love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.