Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music, Music, Music

Music has been a big part of my life and as I've grown up I've tried to be open minded to different genres and artists.  But growing up it was a bit harder to do.  With that being said, the value of music has never diminished for me.  Sure I grew up listening to a lot of mainstream music because of the radio stations that were in my hometown and of course MuchMusic.  It was harder to find less mainstream music.  At least that's what it was like in my experience growing up.  I was able to find some, but not as much as I would have liked.  Different parts of my life growing I've come to realize now that these artists I am fan of like Johnny Cash.  I grew with Johnny Cash and listening to "American IV: The Man Comes Around" in college made a fan of his.

Going to Covenant Bible College (CBC), it was time where I was exposed to a lot of different music.  Not necessarily liking it all.  But I was able to actually get in some artists that I've heard very little from.  I was able to get into Dream Theater, John Mayer, Alice in Chains, and System of a Down to name some of the bigger ones.  I was able to find such artists like DragonForce and MercyMe to name a couple off the top of my head.  That time at CBC was a good time to discover different music.

As the Internet has become an increasingly more popular way to distribute your music, it's become a great way to discover new artists.  Through the Internet, I've been able to discover some awesomely talented and great artists like Jack Conte, Nataly Dawn, Pomplamoose, Freedom Call, Julia Nunes to name some.  You can use YouTube, Facebook, Myspace (if you still use it), Band Camp, and other websites to discover music.  I've been fortunate to discover great music through Internet.  People like to complain about mainstream music, but with access to the Internet, you should be finding new music that isn't mainstream.  The Internet has even allowed people to have music careers without going through the traditional way in music.  Take Jack Conte for instance, he has been able to make a living off of selling MP3s, YouTube, iTunes, and where ever else he is able to sell his and produce music online.  The Internet is a valuable tool for music.

But with how I discover music whether it be through word of mouth, people, TV, radio, Internet, etc..  I will value the place music has in my life.  I will always love music!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.