Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Vespers, Prayer Labyrinth

I just finished Vespers. It's the same service as each Vesper service. I am not saying that is a bad thing. That is not what I am saying at all. There are times when structure is a good thing. I feel that some people need it in there lives. I can say that at times in my life I need structure or I don't get the task at hand done. With that being said, Vespers is a way to connect with God and Jesus in a various ritualistic sort of way.

I am not trying to say to non-believers that it is ritualistic in a bad way. It has candles, incense, and whatnot. I feel that it gives the room a sense of going from a noise filled day to a quiet time of reflection is this service. North America as a whole don't take the time to reflect. We are in a constant state of go, go, go. I feel that if we went a few minutes early (and I am terrible for this sometimes) and had places then we could not be in such a rush to get our next destination or wherever you happen to be going to.

I have made a promise to myself that once a week after the Vespers service, I find someone who possibly needs prayer and just go ask them if they need prayer or put my hand on someone and pray for them if they need it. I asked Jared if he wanted to be prayed for and he said yes. Then there was girl who needed some prayer and she was crying. I didn't know if should pray for her or not. Another student want and prayed with her and prayed for her. I was going to, but that person did.

Tuesday evening and Wednesday mornning we had a prayer labyrinth. It's basically like a bunch of prayer stations. I had experienced something similar to this at Gateway Covenant Church. But this labyrinth here was a bit more rushed as we had people behind you and people in front of you. We had to listen to a CD and each track was a different station. They had a person talking and then some music playing.

I like commuion station. It all goes back to the time when I growing up in an Anglican church in my hometown of Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada. In the Anglican church they have communion each Sunday. Having communion more frequently then once a month like the Covenant Church does, it's takes me back to when I was growing up and seeing communion or experiencing it more regularly. I also like the the rock station. You picked up a rock and put all things you need to work put those words into that rock so to speak. Then you put it in a bucket of water and it's like all that stuff is drowning or flowing somewhere so you don't have to deal with it at that specific moment.

The one I hated was the mirror station. It made you take a good look at yourself. I know there are a lot of stuff I need to change about my appearance. I am unmotivated at times and nothing happens. But this year I had made a promise to myself to try and lose weight. It has been slow going so far.

All in all it was interesting doing the labyrinth. I would want to do it again because I wanted to do it not becase we had to.

That's it for now. I will talk to you people later.

No comments: