Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Follow Up With the Endocrinologist

February 1st was my follow up with the endocrinologist.  I had to look up what an endocrinologist was.  One of things an endocrinologist deals in is diabetes.  So, my appointment was at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon.  It was a very positive follow up.

I had to get a blood test prior to this follow up.  That was a piece of cake.  One the day of my follow up, the news was something I wasn't expecting.  I was a few things.  They are in no particular order.

1. Blood Pressure: She said my blood pressure was right where it needed to be.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but she happy with my numbers. I have tried hand held blood pressure monitors, but the numbers were outrageous.  I wonder what margin of error there is.  Those numbers were higher than they were at my follow up.

2. Cholesterol: Blood work tests for a lot of things.  Cholesterol is one of them.  The doctor said you want your numbers to be under a certain number.  Even though they weren't under that number, she was very happy with those numbers.  Positive news on the cholesterol front.

3. Diabetes: She reiterated what my LiveWell educator said and that is I can be off insulin completely.  But the best news I could have gotten is that if I keep on the positive path I am going on, I can be free of diabetes!  That was something I never thought was possible.  Than again, what do I know.  But what she also said is that I am always at risk of getting diabetes again if I go back to what I was.

I won't need to see the endocrinologist again unless it is absolutely necessary.

When you have certain health issues, it can put things in perspective.  That is what it did for me.  I know of one person who has diabetes and doesn't care.  That is why he is in a wheelchair after having part or all of his leg amputated.  That's what I want to stay away from.

Even if you don't have health issues, take care of yourself.  You'll be thankful you did.  This new lifestyle is prompting me to change myself for the better.  Once again, thank you for all your love and support.  It means the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.