Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Being Real... What Does That Mean?

Today in my spiritual formation group (SFG), we were talking about identity. Then the issue of being real came up. A big question was posed on what it means to be real. Now one person said that they have a problem with it. They think that it is away for them to have you conform to what they think is real.

Now I think that is a valid point. I mean, you encounter people in your life here at Covenant Bible College (CBC) and elsewhere that will try to get you to conform to what they think is the standard you should be living. But that is not necessarily a good thing because the way you live your life and the way they want you to live your life is too different things. I know that I have felt like this with my dad. I have felt that he has tried to impose such unrealistic standards on me that I thought I could never attain. But is conforming to what other people want being real to yourself?

I say no because you can could take what they say and examine it and see if what they say makes sense to you in your life. Then you could probably apply it in your life. I am not saying you should develop the "Avril Lavigne complex" and outright change who you are. You should stay true to who you are and who God created you to be. Sure you will never be perfect and if God would have made everyone perfect then life would be pretty boring. I feel that staying true to oneself is being real. You don't need to say I will totally change one hundred per cent just to appease someone. If everyone did that then the world would filled with nothing but fake and almost manufactured humans.

I am against being a conformist in the sense that you have to conform because it's what everyone else is doing. If I conform, it's because I want to. It's like me in my Christian faith, I want to conform and try to be more Godly because that is what we are called to do. It what we as Christians strive to do. Sure we don't always hit the mark, but at least we are not conforming because someone else said we should. I think if you are a Christian and don't want to conform and try to be Godly is not being real to yourself as a follower of Christ.

Maybe I have strayed to much off the topic, but in the end whether it because of your religion or whatever, make sure you are real on all fronts because you will be considered a fake ass phony. At least that is what I will see you as. But in all actuality, the issue of being real is very complex and may never be fully answered and that is something I am okay with because not every question is answerable.

Come back when you are 30, 32 at the most!
-Russell Peters on his Outsourced DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.