Friday, July 11, 2008

Listening

"If homosexuality is a diease, than why don't I call in queer to work?"

That is what I read on a button of one of one my co-workers. She is gay. We then got to talking. She was telling me what is going on at her apartment. She wasn't in the best of moods. At the end of it all she thanked me for listening. Now that brings me into the topic at hand.

Listening, that is one of the most simple yet caring things a person can do. Sometimes all you can do is listen. It may seem like you are not doing anything, but in the big scheme thing of things, you are doing something to someone.

Even if you are not saying anything doesn't mean you are not listening. I used think that if people weren't saying anything that they weren't listening. But now I realize that no true. Saying nothing is at better than saying too much and saying the wrong thing. Sometimes the latter can happen. But that's another post for another time.

What am I getting at? Maybe it's the practice the art of listening. Sometimes it can be your best friend or your worst enemy for that matter. What do I mean by worst enemy? Well, I guess it's the fact that I should pay attention to people who are telling me stuff because there have been times people have told me stuff that I didn't hear.

So try listening to people. You just might be better off for it. I guess I better eat my own words because I should practice what I preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.