Monday, March 19, 2012

Chris Tomlin with All Sons and Daughters Review

Last night I went to a concert headlined by Chris Tomlin.  His opening act was All Sons and Daughters.  Both are praise and worship/contemporary Christian.  The ticket was free.  That's why I went.

I never heard of the opening act, All Sons and Daughters before.  So I had no idea what to expect from them.  They have nice harmonies.  Their lyrical content is your usual praise and worship and contemporary Christian.  I was hoping that David Leonard would do more on the piano.  He could have done more than just play standard chords.  Anyone with basic piano training could do that.  Their energy was more laid back.  It felt more reflective.

All Sons and Daughters were overall not bad.  I wouldn't run out and buy their albums or anything like that.  But they were enjoyable.  They didn't play a long set which is expected with opening acts.  David Leonard looks like my former "resident mentor" at Covenant Bible College, Ryan Quist in the face.  If anyone knows Ryan Quist, than you'll find the humor in that.

Chris Tomlin came on after a short intermission.  I went to the front in the "praise pit" as Chris Tomlin called it.  Now most people know a lot of his songs as they are used in worship like "How Great is Our God," "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)," "Indescribable," "Our God is Greater" and others.  A lot of his songs are used by churches for worship which is why these songs sound familiar.  The energy he brought was actually quite amazing (no Brian Frable references, Mark).  I surprisingly got into it.  Everybody was getting into it.  I don't go out of my way to listen to praise and worship music per se, but Chris Tomlin was awesome.  I felt something that I haven't felt in a long time.  I truly felt God.  By the end of the concert, my voice was shot.

I'd consider going to see Chris Tomlin again.  He was actually very good.  He changed my opinion slightly of praise and worship/contemporary Christian artists.  I was never a fan of Chris Tomlin per se, but I could get into his music a bit more.  One of Chris Tomlin's guitarists also looks like my like my former "resident mentor" at Covenant Bible College, Ryan Quist.  If anyone knows Ryan Quist, than you'll find the humor in that.  He looks like him more so than David Leonard.  The guitarist has the same receding hairline, hair colour, and facial structure.

Overall the concert was actually good.  It's not in my top three.  But it's in my top ten.  Praise and worship/contemporary Christian music is not for everybody even some Christians.  But at least give Chris Tomlin a listen and even go to one of his concerts.  You may find you'll like it.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! You gotta realize and not just fantasize that worship music isn't as bad as you often think. To those haters I say, "Stop, shutup, don't go any further!" Some people just gotta open wide and let their minds be taken in the power of the music. Yeah, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumbass, Mark. I said no Brian Frable references...

    ReplyDelete

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.