Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Materialistc Mindset Of People

On Boxing Day, my mom had to go to work for an hour or so and do somethings. My mom is the manager of jewelery at Wal-Mart in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. There was an announcement that the store would be opening. That is all fine and well, but when the doors where opened people lost all common sense and were running to wherever to see if there was any deals. My mom said there was nothing worth running for in Wal-Mart. I thought that people wanted Guitar Hero or various other games. but my mom said there was nothing much in for stock. My mom said: "Have people gone mad? They are running over materialistic things. It's not worth it. All we really have is a few Christmas stuff left."

After thinking about I do have to agree. It's not worth it. I am sure they will get in again whatever it is you want. Just because it's Boxing Day doesn't mean every place has something. Canada has become obsessed with Boxing Day. We have turned into this materialistic society that has gone stupid, as my mom put it, over materialistic items. Sure some items are essential for living, but others are luxury items we can live without. But some people would rather spend their money on luxury items then essentials. It's sad the mindset of people. I only go to a store on Boxing Day if I have to return something or if there is a good deal on something I can use. Otherwise I don't generally go to the stores on Boxing Day.

Apparently people were lined were lined up at 3;00 AM at Future Shop. Now that is beyond sad no matter how you look at it. Don't people have better things to do than to shop for stuff they don't necessarily need. I would love to buy stuff like a huge 48 inch flat screen TV or a Nintendo Wii. But I don't. I can't afford it, plus I don't really need it at this time.

I have come to accept that Canada has come to use Boxing Day as a way to get a mind boggling amount of sales. In 2006 there 26.7 billion dollars in sales. That is not including the automotive sector. I told you that is a mind boggling amount of sales. The 2007 figures are not out yet, but I can almost guarantee that they will mind bogglingly high as well.

A headline reads: "Boxing Day lineups likely to continue." Now that doesn't surprise me. As long as stores have Boxing Week sales or Boxing Day prices for a period of time, people will continue to buy. Sure people spend a lot on Christmas itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if people spent more on Boxing Day/Week sales in Canada.

Boxing Day/Week sales will never change and the people who wait in line for those sales will never change either.

Mr. C.C.

"Any so-called material thing that you want is merely a symbol: you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment."
-Mark Twain
"What difference does it make how much you have? What you do not have amounts to much more."
-Epictetus, c 200 AD -Seneca
"Most people seek after what they do not possess and are thus enslaved by the very things they want to acquire."
-Anwar El-Sadat
"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit."
–Pliny the Younger

"Possessions are usually diminished by possession."
–Nietzsche

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.