Friday, April 20, 2012

Pets - The Loss of a Friend

Losing a pet whether it be through it dying or having to be get rid of the pet for whatever reason is hard on a child.  This time it has to do with getting rid of a pet because of the things it was doing.  My niece knew it was coming.  But she still was emotional over it on the day it happened.  She had a great attachment to Carpathia ( a black pug).  She loved her even when my cousin owned her.  It's hard to get rid of a pet.  It's hard to see them leave.  It's hard to say goodbye.

This is what had to be done and no matter what the feelings are from the child.  The parent had to make the decision regardless.  My niece knew why we had to get rid of the dog, but it didn't make it any less painful.  She has come to terms with the decision, but it doesn't mean she doesn't miss the dog.  Carpathia was a friend and she misses a friend.  I get it.  But it's the way things have to be.

My sister is getting a cocker spaniel for the kids.  Before Carpathia was picked up and taken to her new home, my niece was real keen on the idea at first.  But I feel she is coming around.  Once the puppy is picked up, she will love the dog like she loved Carpathia.  I know she will still miss Carpathia, but it won't be so hard knowing she has another dog to love and care for.

The old adage is that a dog is a man's best friend.  This is a prime example.  I know this first hand as well.  I've lost pets through death and through having them being given to someone else.  It's hard, but you learn to deal with it.  I know that she is dealing with it and the new dog will help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't spam the comments as they will be removed. The comments are for commenting the post not trying to sell something or get someone to your site. If it has nothing to do with my post, it will be removed. Thank you for your understanding.