Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I Don't Believe In Santa

I don't believe in Santa is the response I got to the question: Are you ready for Santa?

It was after the Christmas Eve service when I was talking to six year old Madeline. I didn't really have a response to that. What am I supposed say? I was taken aback.

In my mind I thought all kids believed in Santa. That was certainly not the case. I know when I was growing up I believed in both Santa and Jesus. Sure Santa is the more secular side of Christmas and Jesus is the Christian side of Christmas.

Maybe it the way a person is raised? Maybe it was the lack of exposure to pop culture? Afterall, Santa is a pop culture icon during this time of year. It could be a number of things.

What would you say to a child who says I don't believe in Santa? It is not so easy.

No comments: